Saturday, January 3, 2009

The End Of VHS?

Man, Vulcan on 29th St. and I Luv Video on Guadalupe have gotten rid of most of their VHS tapes. I realize as a shop owner myself why they had to do it, but I wish it would have been done in a smarter way. They could have gotten rid of everything that was in print on DVD and then consolidated the tapes to one part of the store. Those tapes were a valuble library-like resource that a lot of their customers really appreciated. In contrast, Vulcan south has been buying cool out of print tapes and adding them to their rental inventory. Most of the time they put them in their recent arrival shelves mixed in with their DVD's, which I find to be absolutely awesome! I've also been spending quite a bit of time up north at I Luv Video on Airport. I heard a rumor that they're never getting rid of their tapes, which made me blow a huge sigh of relief. Their Airport location is the 3rd largest video rental store in the country, and is one of the truly great things about living in Austin that you should be proud of. People in other cities don't have stuff like this. The country's largest (and last) distributor of VHS just stopped shipping tapes this last Christmas. If you live in Austin, give Netflix a rest. They've never even heard of Vestron Video or Media Entertainment and they couldn't care less. Give the great video stores of this city your hard-earned money instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment